Click here to go to our MyDonate site


100 years of Scouting at George Heriot’s School


During 2009, George Heriot’s School celebrated its 350th anniversary.

The 7th Scout Group was also celebrating during 2009. A youngster compared to the school, we celebrated our centenary.

The Group organised a celebratory reunion over the weekend 10th and 11th October 2009.

A reception and tour of the school was held, before a centenary dinner in the school refectory for former members of the Group.  A specially commissioned book of photographs featuring the Group's activities from the period between the 1950's to 2009 was given to each attendee.

Sunday show the current and former members of the Group, together with parents, celebrate with a centenary service (scout's own) in the school chapel.

Afterwards, the current Cub Pack members enjoyed a 100th birthday party and climbing session at the Edinburgh Indoor Climbing Arena, Ratho.

The Group has commissioned a centenary scarf, issued to all members of the Group in its centenary year.  Identical to the current cotton group scarf, it features the George Heriot's crest and 1909 - 2009 below, embroidered at the apex of the scarf.

A photograph record of the Groups activities has been collated and post online on the flickr website (www.flickr.com/photos/heriotscubs).  This features pictures from the 1950's onwards to the current date.

More recent pictures of the Cub Pack activities are viewable by 'friends and family' only.  If you would like to be added to the friends and family list, please make a request via our enquiry button.

The Pack planted 30 trees to mark the Group's centenary.  These trees have been donated to the Pack by the Woodland Trust Tree for All campaign through Sainsbury's

The trees; Silver Birch, Maple, Chestnut, Wild cherry and Poplar are all native broadleaves.

The 7th Edinburgh Group was one of the first to be set up in the City. Just over a year after the publication of Baden-Powell’s ‘Scouting for Boys’ in Jan 1908. 

Since its formation in 1909, it has undergone several changes of identity with the expansion of the movement in Edinburgh and the Lothians.  In its time, it has belonged to the Scout Districts of Holyrood, Salisbury and now Blackford.  But throughout all these times we have always retained the 7th Edinburgh and the name of our sponsor, George Heriot’s School.  We are current known as the 7th Blackford Edinburgh (George Heriot’s School) Scout Group.

Although there is currently no Beaver Scout Colony or a Scout Troop, the 7th Edinburgh boasts a lively Cub Pack. You can read more about the Pack’s current activities and future plans in these web pages.




Since our formation in 1909, we have undergone several changes of identity with the expansion of the movement in
Edinburgh and the Lothians.  In its time, we have belonged to the Scout Districts of Holyrood, Salisbury, Blackford and Braid.  But throughout all these times we have always retained the 7th Edinburgh and the name of our sponsor, George Heriot’s School. 

During our centernary year we where known as the 7th Blackford Edinburgh (George Heriot’s School) Scout Group.
There was no Beaver Scout Colony or a Scout Troop at that time, but we boasted a lively Cub Pack. You can read more about the Pack’s current activities and future plans in these web pages.

On the 1st April 2012, the Scout Districts of Blackford and Morningside merged to form Braid Distirct. A consequence of this merger was another name change for the Group.  On the 13th June 2012 the Group Council, at its Annual General Meeting, agreed to rename the group to the 7th Braid Edinburgh (George Heriot's School) Scout Group.

On the 4th May 2012, a new section arrived - a Beaver Colony - at the Group.  Leaders had been in place for several months before hand to allow time to prepare.  The Colony started with 8 boys.  









Find Us on
 
7th Braid Edinburgh (George Heriot's School) Scout Group.
Registered Scottish Charity No. SC036159
The Scout Association Group ID: 10022960
 
Community Web Kit provided free by BT
Cookie Policy | Charity Number: SC036159